Sunday, August 31, 2008

I was going to wait till Veterans Day... but.....

My husband has been my husband for 2 years. (Almost). I have known my husband for 9 years. He was my friend for 7 years before we got married. He has a Mechanical Engineering Technology Degree from Purdue and he really likes to play beer pong. He is addicted to computers. He likes the history channel and the military channel. He can push all my buttons at once and it makes me laugh even though I am so mad at him i could cry. He cried with joy when when HE read the "You're Pregnant" on the pregnancy test. He painted my sons bedroom when he had a little too much to drink. He puts up with my bipolar. He puts up with my spending habits. He puts up with me.
He overcame diversity when he was three months old and was adopted by his parents. he knows he's asian. He knows he's awesome.
My husband went to basic training a week after he graduated from Purdue. Not by force, by CHOICE. He didn't do ROTC, his college was paid for. He didn't HAVE to join. He did it because he thought... No, he KNEW it was his duty.

My husband is a soldier in the US Army.

My husband is my hero.

My husband makes me proud every morning at 4.55 am when he wakes up and get's ready for Physical Training. He makes me proud at 8.50 am when he's showered and changed and ready to go in his army uniform. He makes me proud when he comes home at 5.35pm and takes a shower and puts his pajamas on. He makes me proud when he has to work over nights, when he works late, when he's on training, when he's at school......

My Husband Makes Me Proud.

In a month we will celebrate Veterans day. The day we honor those who serve our country so that I can go to college. So that I can study art. So that my son can have a decent chance to do something good. So that I can vote for Barack Obama. So that I can sit here on a sunday night slightly buzzed from beer. So that my friend Sara can teach Japanese in Japan. So that my friend Lindsey can be happily married to her wife. So that us Americans can be FREE.
I know that I sometimes pretend that I am Australian. Sometimes I hate this country (when I remember columbine, and when I think about our healthcare system).... when I realize I will not make money as an artist, or an art teacher.......

but that does not mean I am not proud of my husband and all of our friends that serve our country so selflessly. Who still like to come home and play beer pong after working on helicopters all day.

For the past couple of weeks I have been listening to this song by Toby Keith. 'American Soldier'. I remember this song and others like it after 9/11. But it hasn't been until this year that I really felt it.
I know I am counting down until June 10th, 2010. But, I'm counting down for my husband to be 100% safe. Not for him to get out of serving his country.

So - I will leave you with the lyrics to 'American Soldier'.

And to all you Veterans.

From the Bottom of my heart.
Thankyou.

And drew -
I love you.


I'm just trying to be a father
Raise a daughter and a son
Be a lover to their mother
Everything to everyone
Up and at 'em, bright and early
I'm all business in my suit
Yeah, I'm dressed for success
From my head down to my boots

I don't do it for money, there's still bills that I can't pay
I don't do it for the glory, I just do it anyway
Providing for our future's my responsibility
Yeah, I'm real good under pressure, being all that I can be

And I can't call in sick on Mondays
When the weekend's been too strong
I just work straight through the holidays
And sometimes all night long
You can bet that I stand ready
When the wolf growls at the door
Hey, I'm solid, hey I'm steady
Hey, I'm true down to the core

And I will always do my duty, no matter what the price
I've counted up the cost, I know the sacrifice
Oh, and I don't want to die for you
But if dyin's asked of me
I'll bear that cross with an honor
Cause freedom don't come free
I'm an american soldier, an american
Beside my brothers and my sisters
I will proudly take a stand
When liberty's in jeopardy, I will always do what's right
I'm out here on the frontlines, sleep in peace tonight
American soldier, I'm an American soldier
Yeah, an American soldier, an American
Beside my brothers and my sisters
I will proudly take a stand
When liberty's in jeopardy, I will always do what's right
I'm out here on the frontlines, so sleep in peace tonight
American soldier, I'm an American
An American
An American soldier

No comments: